America spends more than $100 billion on food stamps alone each year.
Are the truly needy, taxpayers, and our economy seeing the benefit?
We know the answer: No. According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s own data, 64 percent of able-bodied adults on food stamps are not working at all.
The Biden administration’s unlawful expansion of the program has made the situation even worse, keeping an estimated 2.4 million Americans from actively choosing employment.
Simply put, current policies siphon resources from those who need assistance and trap people in government dependence. It’s time to reverse this damaging trend and reignite the power of work in America.
Solutions to Reform Food Stamps
- Close the federal Broad-Based Categorical Eligibility (BBCE) loophole in food stamps that has resulted in 5.4 million ineligible people on the program.
- Reverse course on the Biden administration’s unlawful, inflation-causing, work-discouraging food stamp expansion.
- At the state level, require able-bodied adults on food stamps to participate in Employment and Training (E&T) programs.
- End “no good cause” work requirement exemptions and strengthen sanctions for able-bodied adults who refuse to meet work requirements.
- Require welfare agencies to receive approval from the governor or legislature before any federal waiver is adopted.
- Require comprehensive data cross-checks of wage, tax, death, incarceration, and lottery records—along with other databases—to help ensure eligibility.
- Seize the opportunity in 2024 to include food stamp reforms in the Farm Bill.
Five Ways That Congress Can Put a Stop to Food Stamp Fraud
Food stamp spending nearly doubled despite the number of Americans enrolled rising from approximately 35 million people to 41 million people.READ MORE
Universal Work Requirements For Welfare Programs Are A Win For All Involved
Government programs like Medicaid and food stamps were created in the 1960s to help the truly needy. But now at least 35 million able-bodied adults are not working and instead enrolling in welfare programs.READ MORE
Waivers Gone Wild: Congress Must Crack Down On Food Stamp Loopholes
Despite nearly 10 million open jobs sitting unfilled nationwide, the number of able-bodied adults receiving food stamps remains near record-high levels.READ MORE
How Congress Can Protect the Truly Needy and Restore Program Integrity to Food Stamps by Ending Broad-Based Categorical Eligibility
States have used federal loopholes to essentially eliminate requirements, expanding eligibility to millions who otherwise would not qualify for food stamps.READ MORE
Our Promoting Work Over Welfare Reform Solutions
Our Promoting Work Over Welfare Reform Research
At FGA, we don’t just talk about changing policy—we make it happen.
By partnering with FGA through a gift, you can create more policy change that returns America to a country where entrepreneurship thrives, personal responsibility is rewarded, and paychecks replace welfare checks.